Sunday, March 15, 2015

Undergods

Because
 the underdogs need someone
who will root for them,
and I always will.

because I believe in fighters
and in the quiet lovers
and in the bad test takers
and in the sad teachers
and in the star gazers
and in the mad preachers

and I believe in the kids on the bleachers,

because that's where I am.

shouting at the top of my lungs
for the guy in my class who comes in everyday
hoping no one sees his tears
because men don't cry
for the girl who walks around the school alone
counting her steps in each concrete slab
as well has her reasons to live
for the boy in elementary who was called gay
because he likes flowers
and he picks them for his mother

I'm shouting for the underdogs
because I see myself in them
and we are all unfinished miracles
waiting for the right moment
to show everyone what we got

and all these underdogs,
or maybe I should say
undergods,
are fighting 
and fighting
and fighting
For a chance to be recognized 
As something greater
Than a textbook nobody.
and I'll be
yelling
cheering
shouting
because its the last quarter
And you've given your all
and you're doing great
and you always will.

5 comments:

  1. "counting her steps in each concrete slab
    as well has her reasons to live"
    such a beautiful post. wow thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "because this is the last quarter." this line got to me. were almost done. this was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this gave me the chills and i am rooting for the undergods too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable. The idea and the way you crafted it. This is important.

    ReplyDelete