Sunday, March 8, 2015

Pluto

Once
I felt lonely
And I went outside & looked for Pluto
And asked to speak to him.
Because he knows what its like
To be small, and far away
And when Pluto spoke,

 He told me
That people tell him he doesn't count
And that people forget about him
And people say he is too small
But he said he doesn't feel bad
Because even the worst of people
Are loved
And even the prettiest people
Can do ugly things
And even the those who have everything
Can only have some things
 When they close their eyes

And Pluto told me
 That from far away
All the big problems become small anyway
And all the little ones
Help blend the background
To the masterpiece titled
"Life"
And when I asked Pluto why

He said
Instead of everything happening for a reason,
Everything just happens
And like a prayer,
You shouldn't expect an answer,
But you can ask for one.

And before Pluto left
I said thank you
Because the words
 From the loneliest planet
Were the most comforting
And I couldn't help but wonder
If I had helped the littlest planet
Feel a little less lonely
As well.

12 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow wow. Ughhh so amazing. One of my favorite posts from this semester. Thank you thank you.

    "and even the those who have everything
    can only have some things"
    #stolen

    And going in my faves on my blog once I'm on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked the perspective of this post its original and different.

    instead of everything happening for a reason,
    everything just happens
    and like a prayer,
    you shouldn't expect an answer,
    but you can ask for one.

    this was my fav stanza. its gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me to do a top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even quote anything literally this whole post if perfect holy crap

    ReplyDelete
  5. A former student (Dick Tidrow) once wrote about Pluto and it was one of the best things I'd ever read.

    And this is all about Pluto. And I freaking love it. I love how close you seem to Pluto. Like you guys are best friends.

    The loneliness. The talk of being small. The lessons about people. How big problems become small.

    I've never had so much sympathy for an inanimate object. Thank you so much for this post. You saved this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok you're my favorite human being...

    ReplyDelete
  7. too many lines i liked in this post. couldn't pick just one. it was so good

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're the best writer this semester. Knew it from your very first posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He said
    Instead of everything happening for a reason,
    Everything just happens
    And like a prayer,
    You shouldn't expect an answer,
    But you can ask for one

    ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh
    I teared up at this part for real.
    it's exactly what I needed to hear and is so comforting and thank you for saying it.

    ReplyDelete