Saturday, April 25, 2015

You

My mother told me
It takes time for someone to fall in love
But whenever I think that it's been a while,
It's like trying to catch a train that's already left
For who knows how long
So I've gotten used to walking
But I avoid the cracks in the sidewalk because
The straight ones look like you
And the crooked ones look like me
And somewhere along the lines of the road we met
And I kept going, but when I looked over,
You took a hard left
As I just stumbled around the corner
Wondering what I did.
My steps slowed down so did my heart
Because my heart was alone and it didn't have anything to catch up to anymore
And when I asked why
You said something poetic
And it must have been about love because I didn't understand it
See my heart just wanted the chance to say I love you
But it couldn't find the words
Because they were hidden in the holes of your flaws
And if I were to connect the freckles on your face
They would say "I Love"
And mine would only spell out
"You"
because like unfinished sentences,
we complete each other

and I can't erase that.

9 comments:

  1. That part about cracks in the sidewalk holy shiz

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words. None. You're remarkable and you explain heartbreak, love, sorrow and more all so beautifully. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is gorgeous. so completely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it must have been about lov e because I just didn't understand it
    Love you Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  5. " my steps slowed down and so did my heart" beautiful. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My heart was alone and didn't have anything to catch up to anymore."

    ReplyDelete